Haile Selassie

Haile Selassie
Conquering Lion Of Judah

Monday, October 10, 2011

Blog #2 Defining The Creative Me

I love creativity. They say for you to be original is unoriginal. Nas said, "No idea is original." I would agree to some degree. But I definitely believe the ways that someone may go about expressing their "original" idea is what is truly creative. Like how many people want to be artists? or wish they could draw? many....but how many actually go about doing it? how many different styles of painting are there? fine art, abstract, etc. How about the brush strokes? how many different paints are there to choose from? I'm saying all that to say this. There are many ways to do a task, and its up to the individual to choose the way in which he or she goes about doing it. That my friend is usually the creative part. Creativity is love. Creativity is passion. Creativity comes from....the Creator. Dat should be like a duhhh!? Right?!? Creativity is Thought. What do you think about? What's in your environment? Are you positive or negative? That definitely has an impact on how you think, and how you perceive life and visa versa. 
My first creative avenue was through art. I've been able to draw since I was like three. I used to love the cartoons of yesteryear, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, The Real Ghostbusters (with Slimer), Care Bears, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Captain N & The Game Masters, just about anything Disney.....the list can go on and on. I loved and admired the animation styles in all of them.

What's any show without a memorable theme song hmmmm? Music has been around me since before I was me. My father loves music and has been playing and singing music from as long as I've known myself. I been hearing Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Garnett Silk, Josey Wales all that.
My mother loved music too and so I heard Elvis to Dolly Parton, to Michael Jackson to Whitney Houston. I say all that to say this: Music has become such an intricate part of my life. I listen to it, dance to it, write to it, work to it, fall asleep and wake up to it. The Hip Hop influence grew from being around friends, being on the streets, going to school, etc. I started to make my own mixtapes when I was in like the 6th grade, recording them off the radio, CD's and LP's. I used to let my tape rock, till my tape pop!!! Literally, ask anybody in the hood, they used to call me the reggae Radio Rahim! Thats how I really started to experiment with sound and practicing deejaying/selecting. This is when I really learned about dancehall for myself: Shabba Ranks, Buju Banton, Beenie Man, Bounty Killer, Spragga Benz, General Degree, Lady Saw, Patra, Shaggy, Sizzla, Capleton, etc.

Anyways, to cut the long story short, I still deejay...at least when I can. I now actually perform songs that my brother and I write as Dilinga Movements. We have that reggae hip hop mixed, with the cultural fusion twist....we use our music as tools to educate, uplift and entertain our people. For a lack of knowledge our people perish. 
I view the world in a very artistic manner, everything can be drawn, or painted visually or aurally....so you can see what I say, if you understand what I mean. The power to be able to captivate and control someone's mind at least for that moment, or to at least spark it to generate thoughts and feelings is amazing, and not to be taken lightly. 
  
We call that WORD, SOUND, POWER. 
This is another reason why I got back into school to strengthen my art skills and take it to the next level, to learn the technical aspects of it. By learning video editing, and web design, I can build my own website and have the ability to do it for others. All of this just works to be incorporated with my music.  Oh, and don't be shocked when you see us in some exclusive gear.....I design clothes too!!! We're about building our brand, Dilinga Movements. On a mission with great visions. Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment